You are here

How to cope with anxiety before/after physician visits

I have been living with CML for almost 24 years now (I was diagnosed as a 12-year-old in 2000). Thankfully, I was able to get the TKIs, and I am living a relatively normal life with very few people around me even being aware that I am a cancer survivor. I became resistant to Imatinib in 2007 (I had access issues and interruptions, and I think that caused it). I have been taking dasatinib religiously since then, except to try a treatment-free attempt/IVF/pregnancy. I met my husband, got married, and now my twins are 4 years old. I decided in 2021 to drop my dasatinib dose from 100mg to 50mg as my physician kept promoting it. I was ok for a year, but then my BCR-ABL results became detectable again at <0.01 and I immediately went back to 100mg. I am cursing myself for attempting to reduce my dose and potentially risking my future.

Ever since having kids I have developed some anxiety issues before/after my visits. I was so nervous about having a follow-up visit with my physician that I rescheduled it from February to April. I went last week, and I was consumed with extreme anxiety, and I am still feeling extremely anxious (I can't think about anything else and have not been able to sleep for more than a couple of hours since the visit) waiting for my results. I thought about sharing my feelings with my husband but did not want to worry him either. Does anyone else feel the same before and after visits? How do you cope?

Hi bonahere,

Sorry to hear you’re stressful times when you’re due for your Cml updates, but the best person to help you through this stage is the doctor who you have your consultation with, they will give you help and support to get you through this, we all probably worry about are results, it’s only natural, but you’ve proved your a “fighter”

Peter

I agree with Dustylloyd you are a fighter. Bonahere you have overcome the fear of sharing your condition. And now you confront the fear of results. You will overcome those fears as the odds are in your favor. And if by some slim chance the results are not optimal you have many alternative TKIs available to you. Scroll through some recent threads as this issue has come up for a few people on this site in the past months. You will find many responses that address your concerns and should help put you more at ease. Good luck.

Thank you both for your response. I got my results, and my value remains the same. :)

I was so relieved after getting the results. Again, I have never felt anxious about my visits/results before having kids. Knowing that there are little human beings depending on my survival is extremely stressful and I know the anxiety cycle will probably repeat when I go back in October. I may be overreacting, but having any disease (even if it is a very minute amount) is a bit scary. I need to find other distractions or coping mechanisms during that time.

I tried discussing it with my physician, but he does not seem to understand. He again suggested that I need to consider going back to 50mg. He kept telling me that the chance of relapse was very small. He just did not understand that I was worried that I would be one among the small percentage of people who do relapse.

The forums did help, and I have been scrolling through the posts since my visit, and the posts are very encouraging. Especially the notes about "the positive results below the <0.01 value can be fluctuations/noise" and a post about "living in the present rather than worrying about what ifs and the future" really helped. Thank You!

I was diagnosed in June of 2016.I am undetected since March of 2017.Everything goes perfect but every time I have a visit to my doc I think that my blood test will be bad.And do not think only my bcr able.I am afraid that my creatinine will be very high,my glucose will be high etc...so as you see you are not alone.But I remind to my self that everything is fine,every time I go my tests are OK and everything will be fine.Believe me it helps a lot.I am a very stressful person and if I can handle it...you can too!!

Snowman what drug brought you to undetected? I am assuming you are in TFR. Is that the case?

Pojo
I take sprycel.I tried tfr in June of 2022 but in 2 months my bcr abl was 0.014 so I started my treatment again.I will try one last time in 3 years from now