You are here

Questions for newbie :)

Just have some questions about fathering a child while on dasatinib. My husband was diagnosed 10 months ago, and is currently on Sprycel (which is dasatinib, right?) Anyways, we were told we should not have children while is on the medication, but after some research I've been reading that it might not be such an issue when the male is on the medication. My question is if anyone has fathered a child while on dasatinib, and if they had any problems? Or, if anyone has any further insight into this, I would appreciate it!!

We have a doctors apt on the 7th, and we are going to bring it up with our doctor, just hoping to get some answer prior.

thanks!!

There are lots of discussion threads on the topic of men fathering children when being treated with TKI therapies. See below- the 2nd generation TKIs such as nilotinib/dasatinb etc. are metabolised by the body in the same way as imatinib (1st generation) so it is likely that the same will apply for all TKIs.

Male sperm has not been shown to be affected by TKI therapy in terms of a cause of abnormalities in the foetus. So the general consensus is that it is safe to continue with therapy for males. The advice for females is entirely the opposite as it has been shown that therapy can negatively affect the foetus during the first trimester after conception - i.e within the first 3 months. 

For more informatioss please see Dr. Graeme Smiths presentation at the recent Patient conference in London. If you click on the heading on the home page you can see the agenda for the whole meeting.

Link here: http://www.mpdmeetings.org/london-conference-2015/

Session 3, Second presentation.

See also the following recent discussion threads:

http://www.cmlsupport.org.uk/thread/10761/male-sperm-and-tasigna

http://www.cmlsupport.org.uk/thread/9287/fertility-dasatinib

So I actually spoke to my doctor and he sees no reason why the male on the treatment would affect the fetus. I will keep you posted.

I think this is them being OVERLY cautious. While it is true that a man's sperm can be the cause of defects too we have to remember that in the world of sperm, it is survival of the fittest. if you have never seen sperm on their mission to get to the egg, it is quite fascinating. They literally fight each other, are racing, some are missing a head, some a tail(s) and only one can win. When that one finally gets to the egg, they have to work to gain entrance. Think of a chicken's egg....our eggs have a pretty tough exterior too. They have to drill through that exterior to gain access to the inside. As someone told me, if they can do all of that which ever sperm fertilized your egg is pretty darn healthy and strong.

Thanks for the insight. We actually spoke with our doctor about it too, and we are now in the process of some fertility testing to make sure everything is good to go before we start trying. As long as all of our testing comes back okay, I think the doctor will give us the A-Okay to try naturally. Good news!!

Good evening-- I just wanted to share my husbands and I's experience. He's had CML for almost 8 years and has been treated with Gleevec and now Sprycel. We have 4 healthy children.  Our 2nd child was conceived while he was being treated with Gleevec. The 3rd child he just switch from Gleevec to dasatinib (sprycel) The last child we had 5 months ago. I was worried because with the other kids he just recently started the drugs but for this last pregnancy he had been taking it for several years. And guess what - I gave birth to a health baby boy. No issues or complications at all. 

Hi, Thank you so much for sharing your story which I am sure will reassure many Male patients who are contemplating fathering children whilst still on TKI therapy. Congratulations on the birth of your latest child- and of course on the births of your other children. Very reassuring news for many who read this forum,

Best wishes,

Sandy