You are here

Fertility, Pregnancy, Intercourse and more questions on Imatinib

Hi all,

My husband was diagnosed with CML about 3 months ago. He is currently on Imatinib 400mg but we have recently been talking about having children. I know there is very little research on men and fertility/birth defects from the medication but if anyone has any info that would be greatly appreciated.

We banked his sperm before going on treatment as a plan b because there was very little time to research before he had to start taking the medication. But from everything I have read online, and from these threads here, is that is sounds like we shouldn't have a problem trying to conceive naturally. 

However, another question I had is whether I ever become pregnant or not, are there any risks to me or the baby by not using contraception during intercourse? I know Imatinib is still technically a form of chemo, so I was wondering if anyone knows of any issues that has caused to the partner or baby.

Thanks!

Heidi

Hi Heidi,

The growing body of research shows that for a man on imatinib there is no risk greater than the general population for fathering a child. Furthermore, there is no risk to you as a partner of a man taking imatinib. 

The consensus is building that this is similar with other TKIs, but imatinib has the greatest body of evidence.

I too am "frozen" but am told that the risks with using this avenue are probity greater than natural conception.

I would urge you to watch this video. Jane is probably the worlds authority on this matter. Having spoken to her 1:1, she advises "just go for it" when it's a man on imatinib.

https://www.cml-foundation.org/index.php/science-education/scientific-ne...

David.

Thank you, David. This video is extremely informative and I appreciate you linking it to me!

Hi,

What David said - Prof Jane Apperley believes there is no issue for the male. For what it's worth, I have a healthy 1 year old fathered while on Tasigna with no break in meds.

Best wishes

Chris

Congratulations Chris! That's great news to hear.

David.

Hi Chris.... what great news. Congratulations to you and your wife.

Sandy

Thanks David & Sandy, it's been an eventful time, with another daughter on the way due in April!!! Hopefully see you at the next seminar.

Best wishes

Chris

Thread continued from: 
Effect on foetus on using Imatinib