You are here

Sprycel UK Pricing Information

My wife Carolynne came across an article in the new medicines section of her UK Pharmaceutical Journal announcing it's availability. It also included pricing information and I've included it below for information.

Brian

56 x 70mg tablets - £2,432.85
56 x 50mg tablets - £2,432.85
56 x 20mg tablets - £1,216.43

So for someone on 140mg a day, the daily cost is £86.89, monthly (30 days) is £2,606.70 and the annual cost is £31,715

Interestingly the cost is the same for someone on 100mg a day.

Hi Brian,

See also my previous posting on the funding of Sprycel.
Incidentally, since Carolynne receives the PJ does that mean she's a pharmacist?
Be interested to know if there are any other pharmacists communicating with this site as well as myself.

Paul

This may not include VAT, which the hospitals have to pay. If it does not include VAT, the total cost per patient per year is of the order of £37,000.

Janet

Hi Paul

Yes - she's a pharmacist. She doesn;t really post or read posts though although I keep her informed (I'm the one with CML). We're based in Cork, Ireland although Carolynne is from Inverness and trained in Aberdeen.

She took a year off (from retail pharmacy) when I was dx in 2003 although somehow that has turned into 3 years and continuing.......I get sick and she stops working....I'm sure I must have done something wrong somewhere!

Seriously though our family life is much improved and quality of life is better than when both of us worked full time, picking up from a creche late in the day, etc. She still does a few locums every so often to keep in touch as her plan is to go back at some stage.

I had seen your previous post - thanks.

Brian

hi brian and paul, i am very suprised that BMS have used a rather unusual pricing pattern. .... 50 mg being the same as 70mg. i suppose this is because the dosing for individuals is so variable. however at these costs sprycel will definitely be up for a NICE assessment. if BMS had set a comparable price (to glivec) then there would have been no costing dilemma for PCT's if a patient needed to switch drugs. i have asked but have not been able to find out if these costs have a VAT element.
best to you both,
sandy C ;o)

Hi Brian,

Interesting scenario!!

You get sick, your wife finishes work!!

Seriously, though, my wife is the one with cml, she doesn't read this site/post to it.

I didn't finish work when she was diagnosed, though I felt like doing so, I did have the option of taking semi retirement, and now work only 18 hours a week. My wife also managed to get early retirement from her teaching post.

I think the shock of the initial diagnosis is enough to make one take irrational decisions.

Now, three years down the line, and my wife being in molecular remission, things have calmed down a bit, however, I continue to work part-time, as I have some health problems myself.
Best wishes to you both.

Paul