You are here

Have you had a BMT?

Hi folks,
Some of you know of Rio, 15, who had a BMT in June 2008. He's doing brilliantly in so many ways - will be back at school almost fulltime after Feb Half Term and just going all out to have a 'normal life' again.

The hosp monitors his BCR-ABL monthly and we were made aware that there could be a very low residual level of CML left after his BMT, which could require infusions of donor lymphocytes. Well, right enough, the BCR-ABL result is slowly rising, from 0.024 at end of Sept, 0.025 at end of Oct, 0.063 at end of Nov and the result for the test done in early Jan is 0.185. He is due another test next week and his consultant is saying that if it shows another increase, she will be looking at DLI, poss with imatinib. Of course we feel disappointed to say the least. Rio's biggest reasons for having a BMT were to 'get rid of CML' and to stop taking tablets for the rest of his life. It would be very difficult to sell the idea of going back on imatinib to him - even for a while.

My question is: is there anyone out there who has had DLI following a BMT? How did it affect you? Did you have to have imatinib too? What sort of timescales? How successful was the DLI? We need to know what we are possibly facing!

Thanks y'all
kestrel

Hi Kestral

You know all of the following who I will mention who had DLI post BMT and I think you have there email address. Elizabeth Rees, Sandy Craine and Richard Constable to name but a few.

I am sure they will be happy to assist you further.

Lots of Love

Steven D

Kestrel

I had DLI last May, following my SCT. I am away at the moment, back Thursday and can reply in more detail then.
You can read about it on my blog, BUT what happened to me is NOT typical and I am not sure that you should worry too much about it.

If you want to chat off line drop me an email with your number and I can call you at the end of the week.

Hope Rio is ok back at school

regards
Susan
slleigh@sky.com

Susan

Hi Kestral,

Yes I have had DLI after sct. It was planned as part of my reduced intensity SCT because it is known that in most cases RICsct's do not get rid of all residual disease.

After my sct I took 400mg imatinib to guard against relapse until 11 months post transplant and to make sure I had the best chances of avoiding GVHD. It is known that the longer the gap from sct to DLI the less the chances of serious GVHD.

My pcr's during the following 12 months were stable at 0.002%.

At 12 months post transplant (OCT 04) imatinib was stopped and pcr's were monitered every 2 weeks.
bcr/abl% rose (very slowly) over the following 25 months and when pcr's reached 0.4% I was given my first DLI, which consisted of 2.5 million mature donor lymphs (not stem cells)

This is a deliberately low dose as too many DL's at one time can induce life threatening GVHD.

Monthly Tests showed if there is any response (none in my case) and after 12 weeks another infusion was given. This time double the dose at 5 million.

To cut the story short.... I was given 4 DLI's in total before a response was seen (4th DLI consisted of 50 million donor cells) and after approx 12 weeks after that all traces of bcr/abl vanished.

The time line for all this was:

*RICsct October 2003
*400mg imatinib started at day +35 post sct.
* " " stopped 11 months later...October 04
*monitored by pcr until a rise to approx 0.4%
which in my case was over 2 years from initial SCT
*DLI introduced- 2.5million Dlymphs on 15th November 2005
*total of 4 DLI's -each increasing the number of donor cells- over the following 12 months
*4th DLI (50 million donr cells)given on 5th October 2006
*Monthly PCR's show decreasing bcr/abl levels
*December 06 shows very low levels and by March 2007 all traces of CML gone.

In my case the response to DLI was only to the higher level of donor cells... some patients respond to much lower doses and respond to 2nd or 3rd.

Patience is needed to see this through, but in the end it is worth it.

I now have PCR's at 3 monthly intervals and remain negative.
I do not need to take any drugs... and have a healthy immune response to infections etc. I do not even need to take antibiotics.

I know both Rio and you must feel disappointed, but DLI is a known 'curative' procedure for relapse post transplant... which can and does happen.
I hope this is of some help.
Please read my diary for details of my experience.

Sandy

Thanks to you all. Sandy - as always! - you have put things back into perspective for me.
I will have a look at the blogs too.
Yes, he's coping well with school on the whole, tho having missed the first term of GCSE courses, it is quite a tricky adjustment to the higher expectations. School are being great. But you know what it's like - I've got my worry-head on!
Onwards and upwards
kestrel

Hi Kestrel
Aaron also had DLI - in fact we were told that it would more or less be expected to have this.
Much love
Jayne x

Hi Kestrel

I forgot to say, on my previous post, that I haven't taken glivec post transplant and there is no expectation that I will. I had the BMT as I was intolerant to both glivec and sprycel.

No one really knows if my problems are related to the DLI, my haematologist thinks not, he has never seen this post DLI but can't rule it out whilst the rheumatologist thinks that it could be some weird immunological response to the DLI. I did have the DLI cells manipulated to reduce the risk of GVHD. I haven't had any obvious GVHD reaction but it would be difficult to isolate that with all the other issues. I had the DLI as I wasn't 100% donor cells rather than for rising PCR.

As I have been on so much medication it is assumed that the DLI won't have worked however whilst I am still PCRU we are doing nothing more until we are forced to.

DLI is pretty common and from what I understand it is usually very effective.

regards

Susan

my name is robert fox. first , let me say i've had 3 bmt's and 3 or 4 dli's. the 3rd bmt plus the dli (dli done feb 22,08)seems to have done the trick (so far) but it made me very ill with acute gvhd. i was in the hospital for nearly 3 weeks but we achieved the desired result: namely, the graft-vs-leukemia effect that is apparently the "good" part of graft vs. host. you can't have the graft vs. leukemia effect without some graft vs. host disease, which can be very nasty because it involves high-dose steroids(namely prednisone in my case) that destroys muscle and can cause early-onset osteoporosis, cataracts, muscle pain, etc. which are symptoms of the speeded-up aging process prednisone can cause. of course, it also saved my life! graft vs. host is no picnic but, as steve miller so eloquently sang, "you gotta go through hell before you get to heaven!" this is the longest i've been undetectable since diagnosis in feb. 02. 7 years this month. i'm not sure of the statistics on graft vs. host post dli and it can be acute (usually within the 1st 40 days post dli) or chronic,(usually after the 1st 100 days) both of which i am lucky enough to have experienced. chronic involves nasty little things like rawness and burning in your mouth, mutation of finger nails(very ugly), early-onset cataracts (easily taken care of, usually) and paper-thin skin. some others i've forgotten. but dli has (i believe) a high rate of cure post bmt(this you can check with your docs.) that's enough now, i think, and some people experience the g v leukemia effect without developing acute g vs. host disease. in this cml business, everything can and does seem to occur. best of luck. robert p.s; whereas sandy said only the last dli with 50 million cells worked, i received 580 million cells! (no t-cell mediation which can increase chances of gvh but also increases likelihood of gvl effect.) the more mediation in the donor t-cells, the less chance of developing gvh, as i understand it, but the mediated donor t-cells also increase the chance of relapse. r.f.

Hi Kestrel

Thanks for your message in my guest book. You mustn't base your opinions on DLI on me!

Wishing Rio lots of luck with the next PCR and let me know how it is going........

Will be thinking of you all and wishing you everything you wish yourselves.

Susan